Sunday, May 4, 2008

Brave New World

I dressed up real nice yesterday. I put on the robe and the funny square hat and sweat through an uneventful ceremony with similarly dressed peers. My tassel kept creeping into my mouth. I couldn't really follow the speakers. They seemed too composed.

Graduation is a good thing, I guess. It's nice to say that all that time spent reading dull textbooks and writing equally dull papers turned into something useful: a degree. But textbooks and papers, of course, should never be the focal point of a college career (although they do have their place). They certainly weren't for me.

The congratulations and farewells have been said; now, it's on to the next thing. I'll be interning this summer at The State Journal in Frankfort, Ky. I won't be covering or writing about sports like I did in college. Starting May 12, it's on to other, more mysterious matters like the annual sewage board meeting and city zoning. Maybe they will let me cover a tee ball game if I ask nicely. It will be a learning experience, and should help me as I seek full-time employment somewhere -- anywhere.

Of course, my timing isn't that great. The rumor is that the United States is in a recession, and print media has been in a funk since Al Gore invented the Internet. Many journalists are frustrated to say the least. If I didn't hate law, I might have considered going to law school. Looks like I'll have to put this degree to use.

I've been mailing applications all year, but I'll be picking it up this summer, looking to land that perfect position to launch my assault against corruption, tyranny and secondhand smoke. Maybe work like this will help.

For now, sewage board it is.

No comments: