Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Burgeoning bugs and other poems

They popped up out of the ground one day like daisies...


... and haven’t stopped buzzing since.

These insects absolutely disgust me...


...and yet I can’t look away from their writhing bodies.

So I wrote a story about them.

Other stories:

Community Garden
This is probably the best story I've written since embedding myself among the Kentuckians. The garden is also right outside my apartment, so maybe I'll play the role of Peter Rabbit when things get growing.

Karate kids
One of the most intimidating places I've ever visited. Every participant age 5 to 65 had to show respect to Grand Master John by saying, "Yes, Sensai!" every ten seconds. Then when he instructed them to align for the picture, each individual had to whip out a few Power Ranger moves before moving to their spot. Yes, Sensai!

Poppy's Bakery
Nothing particularly noteworthy about this story -- unless you are really into Hawaiian shaved ice. I got a free sample while I was getting the tour of the bakery. Good stuff.

River boating
This story doesn't say much about anything. Sometimes that happens in journalism. The one memorable thing for me is that I talked to this crazy guy named Willie who works at a marina, but wouldn't give me his last name. I needed his last name to quote him, so I called his boss and got it from him. Probably the sketchiest thing I've done to date as a journalist. But I haven't met a Willie yet that wasn't a head case.

No comments: